Thursday, November 6, 2008

Mall madness

Today I had the funniest experience. I picked Kendall up from school and we went to the Mall and had some lunch together, visited a few shops and then she wanted to play in the play area. They have a spot in the middle of the mall with all this play stuff, it's very cool. So, I looked around and found 3 benches where absolutely no other person was sitting...There were lots of parents but I made sure to find myself a spot where there was no one else. I usually try to do this...at events, on the airplane.. and it never, ever works out. I am convinced I have some sort of feeler/sensor on me that alerts people to come near and to talk to me. And not just talk.. tell me every event that has ever existed or happened to them thus far, it's IINSANE! It happens so much that I should just sit in the middle of the crowds and then people would just think I was weird and ignore me probably. So today I sit on my bench...about 5 minutes later an Indian man probably in his 60's takes a seat at the bench next to me. I can feel him looking at me so I look back. He says hello and I say hello back. Well...I can't remember what happened after that but he was moving as close as he could get on his bench to me and telling me his ENTIRE life story and about all his wives, his pre-arranged marriages, his schools, his jobs, the kind of suits he wears.. oh yes.. He one time touched my arm while laughing and then quickly apologized and I told him next time I would slap him in the face.. He looked at me in shock and laughed so hard and then wanted to talk more and more. I didn't even notice a younger guy sitting next to me on the bench to my left...But when the older man asked me where in CA I was from I said Riverside area.. then all I heard was.. NO WAY!!!! RIVERSIDE, CA??? ME TOO!!! He was(i came to know later) 32, married with kids and moved to KC 3 years ago like us. Well he ended up telingl me that he made $20.00 an hour and his wife made $20.00 and hour too and it goes a long way here... and so on and so on.. it was a full on competition of talking at this point.. One would talk and I would turn to look at them, then the other would start and I'd turn to try to hear them. One would get up to help his child and the other would tell me that the other guy was trying to bother me and get in our conversation.. They both were trying to "save" me from the other one. Thinking that I would much rather sit and listen to their life stories...I was completely being USED!! haha They weren't at all creepy guys trying to hit on me! They genuinely just wanted to talk and I apparently had the big sign...TELL ME EVERY THING.. I MEAN EVERYTHING, on my forehead. I wanted to laugh so hard and I wished someone else could see this circus act that was happening. This went on for over an hour.. before I excused myself to leave. I thought the older man was going to buy me a car or give me money for giving him my time! He was trying to give me money for Kendall to play longer..haha... It was funny. I don't know why I ever try to hide out....I apparently am not the hiding out type...the over sharers are like a moth to a flame with me. And today I have to say, it was entertaining and pretty sweet...

1 comments:

Hollygal said...

that has always been the case with you, funny. That's what you get for being beautiful and sweet. You should have really slapped him. THAT would have been funny. He probably would have laughed anyway with all those wives he's gotta' be used to it. LOL. Thanks, Mel, that was funny.