Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Mercy and Red Velvet Cake


Last night was a pretty cool moment between my son and I. Nate and I were craving some sweets and we decided to make a cake. I usually have brownies or ice cream on constant supply but this time I had cake! We have this rule about eating(for our kids) that if they choose not to finish eating at meal times(we have to give them a half hour time limit too or they could sit for HOURS TALKING and never eating) then it's OK, they just don't get snacks or dessert. This keeps us not fighting over food and makes them choose whether or not they go hungry. Last night Cole was super chatty boy and didn't finish his dinner in time. He was literally like two bites away and Nate made the call and told him, sorry son. Cole was pretty bummed..."Dad, I only had two bites left!" Dad," Cole we gave you extra time and you were goofing around. Love ya too much to argue about it!" The end... It was around 9:45pm when Nate and I got around to frosting the cake. Nate went to see if Cole was asleep(we also have this close the house rule/you choose if you want to stay up reading rule...sounds like we have a lot of rules...haha but we don't run a boot camp!)and to turn out his light for him because he usually falls asleep reading. Cole was up and I called him into the kitchen. It was just him and I.. I was frosting the cake and had a big spoon of frosting for him. He looked at me, " Mom no, I didn't finish my dinner." Me, "yeah I know" I held the frosting up still. Cole," Mom really it's OK, I don't deserve it, I didn't finish, it's really OK." Me," Cole we all don't deserve lots of things in life. God chooses mercy over and over and I love you so much and I am choosing mercy and I want you to have some cake tonight." Cole just looked at me and his eyes watered all up and he just hugged me and thanked me from his heart and it hit somewhere deep in him. Oh MAN! I didn't see it playing out like that when I called him in to give him some frosting. It's crazy how God can teach you about how incredible He is in the big ways and in the simplest....and last night it was in a piece of red velvet cake.