Tuesday, September 9, 2008

MOCSA

I started my training classes to be a volunteer last night for MOCSA which stands for, Metropolitan Organization to Counter Sexual Assault. I'll be going the next two weeks downtown KC for the training. Last night I was there 4 hours and the information already is hard to hear. The statistics at which women, children and men are being assaulted are so outrageous. And these are the cases just being reported..We watched a video where they talked to/counseled a child who had been assaulted and I had to dig deep to not lose it. They don't hold back and the information we are receiving is the real deal!! It was good and it opened my eyes to a lot I hadn't thought of before. They asked if we thought we were living in a Rape culture... hmmm... And are comments like raising boys telling them they throw like girls if they throw bad.... Harmful? Some of the volunteers thought not...some thought it was harmful to women as a whole making us appear weak. It was such an interesting night hearing just 9 of us and all of our different opinions. I am excited to be going through this and so thankful there are places

like this... people helping people.

0 comments: