Thursday, December 4, 2008

I love old people

For some reason I just have always loved old people..especially old men. Now when I say old, I'm not saying 50-60's..although I'm sure everyone in that age group is quite lovable too. Give me some oldies 70+ and it is a good time. Yesterday I was not a happy gal and I went to the gym to zone out and ride the exercise bike(which I have come to find out really does nothing cardio wise) and read a book. I sat down and started reading..I had my head buried and I had been pedaling a while. I heard someone say, " Hey, Hey!" I looked up and I saw a smiling face on an old gentleman. He sat next to me and I said, "Hey, Hey!" Immediately he started chatting me up and telling me stories about his youth..I was still holding my book and figured I wasn't going to need it anymore, threw it down and soaked the conversation in.. I can't get enough of stories.. I love to hear about people's pasts and their lives. Doesn't even matter if I know them or not. He told me about getting electricity in 6th grade and riding horses to his one room schoolhouse.. It was great. Then another old buddy of his came walking by and joined in the conversation. He was Canadian(apparent by his canadian hat and canadian shirt and canadian sweatsuit) and proceeded to bash Canada being very proud of his American status now, after marrying an American hottie a few years ago! I laughed so much and so hard at these two that I went the longest I've ever gone on the exercise bike..lol It was a good time and coming in grump face and meeting these two was the best! Today Mr. Canadian found me and introduced me to his hottie American wife and I talked to them for a while.. very sweet and very 80+ both of them. I don't know what it is about the age.. Respect for having walked through all that I have yet to...Meeting people who lived with less luxury than we have today and them still appreciating the "good ol' days"...Their attitudes about life and how they have a good time despite their physical growing tired. Their stories, their faces.. AHHHHHH!!! I can't get enough!!!!

There is this little old couple who comes to the gym and they are both very slow and every time I see them, I find myself almost crying right then and there... They walk with a little hunch and they have the cutest sweatsuits on that match.. The woman is much slower than her husband and when they take to walking around and around the little track, they hold hands and smile the entire time..like they know something..like they have a secret! I just watch them go by and by and I find myself smiling in their sweetness... I hope I make it there someday...can't say I'd get Nate to wear the matching sweat suits, but by then....one wouldn't seem to care~

1 comments:

Brooke and Tami said...

I love it! Old people are my favorite too, and for all the reasons you stated. I can't look at an old couple without smiling.